Sunday, February 21, 2010

It wasn't supposed to happen like this!

Lately I've been restless. I'm not sleeping well and neither is my wife. As the parents of a 20 year old daughter, we're at a point in our lives where we're forced to say, "It wasn't supposed to happen like this!" If you think for 1 second that I'm going to tell you exactly what it is that we're restless about, you're wrong. If it were about me, I'd probably put it out there. But it's not, it's about my daughter, and that makes things totally different.

So what's the point of me even writing this post? Well, I always envisioned my girls making great choices and for the most part they have. And when there's a bad choice made, it's a great opportunity to learn something and grow which is cool. But what happens when a bad choice is made and then there is no learning, no growth? Not even so much as a recognition that this was a bad choice? Furthering this path of bad choices are subsequent bad choices. The same bad choices over and over. Then what?

I think we've all been there. Where we make a wrong choice and then (even though we know better) continue making that wrong choice. We try and justify it for a while to relieve the guilt and that usually helps. If we stay in it long enough then it begins to seem normal . . . OK even. The guilt lingers but not as long. What does it take for us to wake up and change direction? A tragedy? Pressure? Guilt? Regret? Pain? Some kind of intervention . . . the Divine sort possibly?

My burning question to you is, "What brings positive change in your life?" I really want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment